KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK
"CAN I HAVE YOUR BODY?"
"CAN I HAVE YOUR BODY!?"
"...I'll give it back?"
"It better be in the same condition you got it!"
The newest littlest relative thing.
My little brother made her. She's Sophia Rose, though she seems to think she's Doctor Evil.
OKAY. So. Watched The Dark Knight for the first time the other day. Lots
Now, just in case there's the vague chance of ANYONE out there reading this who HASN'T seen it yet and despite the fact they haven't seen it yet DON'T actually want to know anything about the movie in case they DO see it in the near future, don't read ahead? Or I might accidentally spoil you? I dunno, I don't think what I'm going to talk about is really going to devastate any plot twists anyway.
So there comes a point in the movie where the Joker, having fun messing around with the city's inhabitants, sets up a diabolical 'social experiment' featuring two boats. On each boat is a bomb. Also on each boat is the switch to set off the other boat's bomb. The conditions of the scenario are thus: at midnight, the Joker will blow up both boats. However, if you blow up the other boat before midnight, then your boat survives. Pretty simple, and no 'nice' way out. Now, of course, this is superhero world, where it actually is possible for one dude to come along and save the day for everyone.
But let's say it's not. Let's say that we don't
have any reason whatsoever to believe that it's in any way possible for everyone to survive this scenario. Now, the creative part of my brain wants to imagine that something wonderfully heroic and self-sacrificing is possible... like, find the bomb on MY boat, find some way of setting MY bomb off, get all the passengers off and safely into the river, then blow up my boat. Nice. Noble. Yeah. But again, let's say that's entirely not possible. Let's say the only physical possible outcomes are those that the Joker has lined up.
In the film, nobody can bring themselves to press the button and blow up the other boat. Nobody can do it. The other members of my household appear to also defend this position as the 'morally correct' one. It seems to suggest that surely only a monster
of a human being could be responsible for the explosive destruction of the other boat. But I'm not convinced. Nobody wants to get their hands dirty, so everybody dies? I dunno. What I
see is the option to at least save HALF the people in mortal peril. Yeah, blowing up the boat is a horrible, terrible thing to do. What a hideous thing to be responsible for! But by NOT pressing the button; by maintaining some sense of personal integrity or whatever, by REFUSING to tarnish my poor precious hands, I'm as good as blowing up all the people on MY boat. If I do nothing
, we're all dead anyway. If I do something
, I save half the people. This fact doesn't change if the switches are reversed and the choice is to blow up your own boat, either. Yeaah, I dunno. I'm just not convinced that refusing to set off the bomb is as flawlessly, squeaky-clean morally perfect as first impressions might suggest.
Though admittedly it will be mostly photos.
I really like the new layout of Abbey... nice and sprawling, a lot
more space, still very busy with people but without feeling smothered and crowded absolutely everywhere you went. Very nice feeling for the place overall, and the wood smoke and food smells made me ache with nostalgia.
Without further ado; ( Abbey Photocrunk 2010!Collapse )
Oh man, I am sucking so hard at writing actual content right now. I am so awesome. Life is a stupid, crazy, brilliant, unfair, awful, wonderful thing that never makes sense.
Have a stupid meme where the 'random' button on my playlist answers questions with song titles.( Meeeeeeeem.Collapse )
"Hey there, how are you going?"
"I once saw a pig. And I ate it."
"...so, ummmm, what are you having for dinner tonight?"
"I don't know."
"Not another pig, then?"
"You know what I wish I could have for dinner? Chocolate."
...at which point the kid shakes his head, looking genuinely disappointed. "Unhealthy!"
IF YOU SEE THIS POSSUM, DO NOT APPROACH HER.
She currently answers to the name 'GEORGIA', but this is a lie.
Do not make any contact with her, nor answer any questions she might ask. Do not be sucked in by her enormous ears or big baby eyes, she is a dangerous double agent on a covert mission and NOT TO BE TRUSTED. At this stage 'theft' is not among her known crimes, but it is probably in your best interests to lock up any valuables if you suspect her movements to pass through your area.
She is being watched very closely by private spy operatives. If such operatives cross paths with you, it will be better for all concerned if you assist them in any way they ask. There is much at stake.
It's.... 6:45 in the morning.
Ranger's on the floor behind me, slowly devouring a little lego ladder. Every time I look at him he looks back over his shoulder and wags his tail; I don't have the heart to take it off him!
This room almost resembles a Real Room now. The cupboard is actually properly arranged and contains only things we actually WANT in there. All the 'other people's stuff' that we've been 'babysitting' for months/years is no longer in here! (OK, so that stuff is now mostly in the hall...) The floor is... well, it's a FLOOR now! And I'm gradually getting things up on the wall that have been waiting for hooks for months. The desks need clearing, and there are a couple of bags on the futon waiting to be sorted. But I am so close to a real, solid accomplishment!
I'm about three quarters of the way through a random two-weeks-off-work. I needed the break, maaan I needed the break. I know when I reach the end I'm going to feel like it wasn't long enough; I mean I've managed to get a lot done, sure, but it never feels like enough.
Even when I'm having a 'break' all I want to do is keep going and going and going....
2010! Hooray for Future Year!
Some things I plan on doing:
- Going camping damn it.
- Fake Fudge night. It's going to happen. It is. Hell, it may even somehow be related to the first point up there.
- P365! That's right, I'm going to attempt the take-a-photo-ever-day thing again. So far so good. And yeah, they're going to be up at http://dingoat.livejournal.com
again too. Follow at your own peril.
- Ugh get my eyes poked at by a professional eye person again some time. It's been too long and I know it.
- Making my house and garden a better place to be.
- Making arts and words and music and basically just keeping on enjoying life.
Other things that are currently swirling through my head:
- I love red pandas. Seriously, I have fallen head over heels in love with these absolutely absurdly adorable arboreal mammals. They are just... just... damn. The cute, it overwhelms.
- Something about dolphins
. The title of the article makes me grin a fair bit, but the article's basic notion that intelligence-of-a-species-should-correla
te-with-how-we-treat-it grates at me far more.
- I've been to the movies like, three times in the last week. That's a bit crazy for me, considering in the whole YEAR before that I only saw two. Where the Wild Things Are (gorgeous!), Avatar (fun, pretty, Fern Gully!), and Fantastic Mister Fox (oh hell yeah XD). I could elaborate more on each but honestly, I can't be bothered and I'm not sure anyone would care.
I'm gonna go do something now.
THIS IS MAKING ME LAUGH SO DAMNED HARD RIGHT NOW YOU HAVE NO IDEA.
- Mood:FUCKING ROFFLE XD
'tis the season!
Life is awesome. Some of the things that help make life awesome include:
- Awesome friends, family and workmates. It is so great to be around awesome people, be it in the flesh, through a magical internet pocketbox, or in the imposed conditions of a workplace. I am so, so lucky for the awesome people in my life.
- ANIMALS fuck yeah. I will never, ever, ever cease to be amazed and grateful for the many super fantastic animals in my life. Every damned one of them, past, present, future, and even those fleeting appearances by animals like Swamphen-rolling-down-a-cliff. You are the most awesome swamphen I've ever seen.
- DELICIOUS CHRISTMAS ROAST DESPITE RIDICULOUS SUMMER HEAT BECAUSE THATS WHAT CHRISTMAS IS
- Fire twirling on the beach at midnight OH MY GOD it was terrifying and I thought I was going to kill myself and I did the most pansy ass twirling ever but it was also great and I actually did it
- Being convinced that doing 'recon' down the street at 2am is a really, really, really good idea.
- BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE
- Carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and OXYGEN. How inexplicably awesome is it that we are basically a ridiculously large number of positive and negative charges spinning wildly around each other like the arms of a fan, I mean, we are mostly EMPTY SPACE for crying out loud and yet at the same time we are unique, fantastic, individual living beings with conscious thought and free will and the ability to SING and PAINT and LAUGH. Fuck yeah damn it. Life is awesome.
( Also photos.Collapse )
- Music:Invincible - Muse
"So, what's your favourite animal?"
"..." (Translation: Incomprehensible garble.)
"Awesome. Do you have any pets at home?"
"Oh, you can speak english! So, if you could have any type of pet in the WHOLE world, what would you like?"
"You want a pet... train."
"What, ummm, what do you feed a pet train?"
And at that point the kid stares at me like I'm an idiot. So I repeat;
"What does a train like to eat?"
"Not a pretend train! A REAL ONE."
"Ohhh, my mistake. Sorry, sorry. So, um, do you drive the train?"
Again, that 'you are such a moron' look. "Nooo."
"Who drives the train, then?"
"Then how does your train... go?"
"It goes on the small and another train and the person the train is bigger and it--" And then the kid makes what I can only assume is his best attempt at a train noise.
I don't really get kids.
Zombie walk was some pretty badass fun. XD Hilights of the day:
- Blood fight in the Manor backyard!!
- Walking past the Expensive Shops near the mall (eg Tiffany's) and watching the shop owners close their doors in a hurry, and the customers stare with a mixture of amusement and horror as we threw ourselves against said doors.
- The 'non zombie' with the 'shotgun' trying desperately to gun us down, while we mimed getting hit and then just kept... coming... until he gave up trying to shoot and just turned tail and fled. XD It was a Great Zombie Moment.
- Zombie Where's Wally meeting up with Zombie Where's Wally... girl.
- Listening to the cries of 'BRAAAINS! BRAAINS!' turning into cries of 'BEEEER! BEEEEER!' when we passed a bottle-o, and the utter bewilderment of the guy at the counter.